A one-week school of physics will be organised in Hillerød (a picturesque suburb North of Copenhagen) for students from the Nordic and Baltic countries and NW Russia region. The school aims at introducing frontier areas of physics research by world top scientists at a level understandable for undergraduate students, and also to stimulate further studies. It gives a unique possibility for students to meet outstanding scientists both in class and in informal atmosphere. The following four series of lectures, each of five hours, will be given. The lectures will be accompanied by excercises in groups and discussion sessions.
- SOFT CONDENSED MATTERProfessor Gerhard Gompper, (Forschungszentrum Jülich)
- THEORY OF BLACK HOLE ACCRETION DISKSProfessor Marek A. Abramowicz, (Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg)
- COMPUTER SIMULATIONS IN QUANTUM FIELD THEORYProfessor John Negele, (Center for Theoretical Physics, MIT)
- SINGLE-MOLECULE BIOPHYSICSAssociate Professor Lene Oddershede, (Niels Bohr Institute)
- PREDICTION AND DISCOVERY OF A PENTAQUARK BARYON
Dmitri Diakonov, (NORDITA)
Who may apply? Undergraduate students who study in the Nordic or Baltic/NW Russia region. You must have a background of three or more years of university studies in physics/mathematics, or corresponding studies at a technical university, but you should not be a graduate student. We encourage female students to apply.
How to apply?
- Applications are submitted through the online application form, including a list of finished courses in physics and mathematics with your marks for each course.
- Ask a teacher at your university to write a very short recommendation letter for your participation at the school. Please note that when you submit your application, your teacher will receive an email asking for a recommendation letter on your behalf.
Deadline for application: May 15, 2003.
Notifications of acceptance/rejection will be sent from NORDITA around June 1.
How much does it cost? The selected students (about 50) will participate free of charge. This includes travelling to and from Hillerød (cheapest tickets), housing and food in Hillerød.
The school is supported by NordPlus and NORDITA